If you or a loved one sustains a spinal cord injury it can feel like your life has been turned upside down. While it is a life changing injury, it doesn’t need to mean the end of you living independently in the comfort and security of your own home. With our specialized and tailored spinal cord injury care plans we will help you through the difficult times and be there when you need us the most.
How can I find spinal cord injury care near me?
If you find yourself asking how you can find spinal cord injury care near you, Secure Healthcare Solutions can help. We offer dedicated spinal cord injury care in Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall, Sandwell, Cannock, South Stafford, Telford, Birmingham and other surrounding areas. Get in touch to find more information and details on all our locations.
What is a spinal cord injury?
A spinal cord injury is when the spinal cord has been damaged and results in a temporary or permanent change to the cords normal sensory of motor function. The most common cause of this is a trauma such as an accident, fall or sports injury, or a disease such as spina bifida or polio.
The spinal cord plays a large role in controlling the movement of our bodies, but when it is damaged the vital nerve cells it usually sends to transmit messages from the brain to the muscles, skin and other organs can no longer do so. This is why people suffering a spinal cord injury will suffer from loss of or reduced movement and sensation anywhere below where they were injured.
The extent and duration of the loss of movement and sensation is dependent on the type of injury and whether it is permanent or not. Even if there is only partial damage it could take a couple of years for any sort of sensation and movement to return and when it does, it is likely to still be restricted. As well as loss of movement, paralysis from a spinal cord injury also has other side effects which we will help you look after such as:
- Pressure sores from being in the same position for too long
- Hypothermia or hyperthermia due to the body’s inability to regulate temperature
- Injuries from muscle spasms that you can’t control.
We know just how life changing a spinal cord injury is for both those who sustain one and their loved ones. This is why we take great care in ensuring all our patients receive the highest quality of spinal cord injury care for them. We will assess your needs and requirements and develop a bespoke plan tailored for your care.
We offer both short-term, long-term and live-in carer plans so you can choose the right care for you.We will help with:
- Long-term ventilation if needed
- Assistance with washing and dressing
- Catheter care and continence management in a dignified and comfortable manner
- Ensuring you have a balanced diet with plenty of fluids and fresh ingredients
- Doing your shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Assisting with household upkeep like hoovering and other chores
- Emotional support for you and your loved ones
- Rehabilitation support and physiotherapy care/ support
- Pressure sore/ulcer prevention
- Help with essential spinal mobility requirements such as transfer boards and hoists
- Help with your skincare
With our specialist spinal injury care, we will go above and beyond the clinical side of things to ensure your life is as comfortable and high quality as it can possibly be. Get in touch today and find out how we can help you.